Interesting Facts About Our Teeth and Space:
Effects of Space Environment on the Oral Cavity:
- It has been found that being in space has the ability to increase our levels of dental plaque. Further the levels of tartar or calculus build-up has also been found to be increased.
- Levels of Gingival inflammation were also reported to be higher. One potential factor to explain this could be that it is more difficult to adequately clean the teeth in space.
- Levels of some bacteria in the oral environment are also found to be increased.
- It has been found that wound healing in space is also decreased or delayed.
- Anaerobic or aerobic bacterial level.
- With potentially longer space missions on the horizon; the oral environment in micro-gravity is an area of interest to help prevent any dental emergencies on long haul space missions.